Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I was at the bookstore and became very excited!

My husband and I went to Barnes and Noble the other day.  In the sale section is a book on victorian gingerbread houses.  I glanced through it to see if I could obtain any ideas for my Greenleaf Garfield/Thumbelina when all of a sudden I came across the J. Milton Carson House.  It is grand, pink and white, and it looks a lot like the Thumbelina!  It was great to see a real version of my victorian dream home!  It shares a lot of similarities with the miniature home I am creating.  I had purchased some gray shingle dye, but I have been very nervous to use it.  I like the natural shingle color.  "It looks like a cake!"  My miniature shop owner friend Michael Sue Nanos has said.  However, now that I have seen this house, I may have to use the shingle dye.  I have posted the history behind the house so you can learn about this decadent, victorian creation!


"This ornate Queen Anne style Victorian was built for J. Milton Carson as a wedding gift from his father, lumber baron, William Carson. Known locally as "the Pink Lady," the building is an exquisite example of the Queen Anne style of Victorian architecture.
This house has had numerous owners over the years and a very interesting history. It was sold by J. Milton Carson in 1920 and after several owners was inherited by sisters in Germany who operated it as a rooming house. In 1942 the U.S. government seized it as Nazi property. It was sold at public auction in 1951 to the late Lloyd Bridges and Associates (father of the TV and movie star.) Then in 1963 it was sold to a realtor who restored the property and leases it as commercial space.
The Carson House is located within the Eureka Historic District and is considered a primary contributor to the district,"




Copyright (c) 2010 Groundspeak, Inc. All Rights Reserved.http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2WZZ_J_Milton_Carson_House_Eureka_CA

No comments:

Post a Comment